Salary Range: Negotiable
Location: Remote EU or US, GMT- 4 to GMT- 8 preferred
BibliU is a digital learning platform that is changing the future of the multi-billion-dollar textbook industry. Our mission is to shake up higher education and make reading materials more accessible and learning more effective. We do this by making textbooks and monographs more affordable for students, so that in most cases, they are included in tuition costs. We have incorporated accessibility features to accommodate multiple learning styles and the different needs and preferences of each student.
BibliU has grown rapidly, and during this time we have created Europe’s largest digital education content programme, in partnership with Coventry University. Upon entering the US market, we have secured the largest digital textbook programmes in the US with Phoenix and Grand Canyon Universities. We are working with over 60% of universities in the United Kingdom, and are steadily growing in the US . We have recently raised $10 million in a Series A investment round (you can read more about this on Sky News and EdSurge) and have ambitious plans for continued growth and expansion.
Our team of 45 +, of which half the senior management team are women, are currently seeking an intuitive backend engineer to work within a global, cross-functional, product-driven team.
The Student Team at BibliU
The Student team is absolutely central to BibliU’s user experience and product delivery. We exist to ensure that our learning platform is intuitive and enjoyable for our end-users: students. We are constantly launching new features and improving existing functionality end-to-end across our web and mobile applications.
Role of the team:
- Develop and maintain features for the BibliU Platform across our web, mobile, and desktop applications
- Implement client side code in line with mockups provided
- Implement and maintain our backend APIs and infrastructure
- Test code written using well known frameworks
- Maintain codebase for our Progressive Web App
- Continuous Integration & Deployment
- Understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Work with stakeholders to define the best solutions to development problems and business requirements
Areas of Responsibility
Develop, maintain, and improve features directly related to the student experience on our platform; this role has a backend focus. All features must be accessible, scalable and provide a world-class experience to users of all types across a wide variety of browsers and devices.
Our benefits are all aimed at supporting a healthy work-life balance and cultivating a company culture where you can bring your whole, human self to work.
- 43 days of holiday including public and bank holidays
- Flexible working
- Annual company retreat
- Equal parental leave
- Birthday day off (in addition to annual leave)
Fostering community is important to us. The BibliU book club meets (virtually) every 6 weeks and we have an active Women’s Network.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds, experiences and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective and BibliU is committed to building an inclusive and supportive workplace where everyone can do rewarding work.
If you’ve got any questions about the role, get in touch with our Operations Analyst, Nafis, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Extensive experience with AWS and Terraform
- Node.js experience
- Devops experience (AWS, Docker, terraform)
- Familiarity with using Project Management tools (Jira, Linear, etc.)
- Experience scaling, maintaining backend infrastructures
- Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple incoming requests
- Experience writing unit tests
- Experience delivering end-to-end features is a plus
- Front end (Lit-html / Polymer/ Redux / Electron / Cordova) experience is a plus