At Fishtown Analytics, our mission is to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. The product we create, dbt (data build tool, https://getdbt.com), is used by thousands of companies every week, and that number is growing fast.
We’re looking for an experienced analytics engineer to join our Professional Services team. We help startups set up their initial analytics infrastructure and Fortune 1000 companies migrate to modern analytics tools. The work is challenging, to say the least. In return, you’ll be able to work with one of the most talented data teams on the east coast and with some of the most exciting companies in the world. Sound like something you’re interested in? We’d love to hear from you.
Who we are
At Fishtown Analytics, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that: —> Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic —> Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers —> Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software —> Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Over the course of the past several years we’ve built a community of 4,000+ people and 1,300 companies who are using our ideas, products, and workflows to conduct analytics, including Lyft, Monzo, GitLab, Snowflake, the ACLU, Amazon, JetBlue, and RentTheRunway. Our product, dbt (https://www.getdbt.com/), has come to be synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry.
We’re on a mission to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. If this sounds like a mission you could get behind, we’re excited to get your help to continue to power this growth into the future.
Who we’re looking for
A full stack data analyst with experience working for a venture-backed ecommerce or SaaS startup. You’ll be modeling data using our open source product dbt, advising CEOs on the analytics behind their businesses, and mentoring analysts who work for our clients and here at Fishtown. A great candidate will be experienced in writing analytic SQL. If you’ve worked in Mode or Looker, Redshift or BigQuery or Snowflake, amazing. If you have experience using the command line and git, we definitely want to talk.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Model and analyze data with lots of SQL
- Leverage various data warehouses, ETL tools and BI platforms for client projects
- Refactor SQL code based on our best-in-class, in-house style guide
- Maintain deliverables, projects, and timelines for your client engagements
- Communicate findings clearly to a broad range of stakeholders
- Develop and communicate strong opinions about best practices in Analytics Engineering
- Interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets and translate them into product, marketing, and financial insights
You are a good fit if you:
- Have worked with dbt before!
- Are proficient in SQL and understand the difference between SQL that works, and SQL that performs
- Have a solid understanding of data warehouses and business intelligence tools
- Have 3+ years experience as a data analyst at an ecommerce or SaaS company
- Can communicate clearly and directly
- Are highly motivated to work autonomously, with strong organizational and time management skills
- Are passionate about building the best version of whatever you’re working on
You have an edge if you:
- Have experience writing analytical Python and/or R
- Have experience with statistical modeling
- Have strong client management experience
- Salary: $80k - $100k
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, health/vision/dental insurance, and paid parental leave