We are looking to hire an experienced Android engineer to help enhance our Android app and our Android SDK. Our goal is to craft a wonderful experience for our Android app users and also make it easy for Android developers to add Help Scout capabilities to their apps. Your work will empower over 10,000 businesses around the world to provide exceptional, human customer service, while supporting the other senior engineers on your team.
Things we use:
Kotlin, Java, Coroutines, JetPack, JUnit, Mockito Slack, Jira, GitHub, TravisCI, Sentry, Sumo Logic
About the role:
Our engineering team is just over 40 people, about half of the company. You’d be working on our seven-person mobile team which includes two Android engineers, three other iOS engineers, a QA engineer and a designer. You’ll be involved in every decision made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization. Your work will mostly focus on the app, SDK implementation, and design details. You’ll also get everything you need from the design team with regard to Android-specific visual design and interactions. While a separate team of engineers owns the backend APIs, the mobile team owns a Java-based API that communicates with the mobile applications and the other backend APIs and you’ll have a chance to contribute to it. You’ll work with customers and QA engineers to ensure releases meet customer demands and our high quality bar. Our engineering teams work in a weekly kanban flow, communicating mostly via Slack, and is committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review - using video and screen-sharing as needed. Your development builds can be easily tested on environments that closely match production. You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive. Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way. Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability. You’ll be working with product people that challenge you to get better every day. The founders are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for customers. You’ll deploy work that moves the needle for businesses around the world. You are located between UTC-5 and UTC+0. For example, you could work 9-5 from either Nova Scotia/Boston/Brazil/UK/Portugal
You bring a level of Android-specific expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for customers and fellow Android app developers. You have years of experience working with Android and Java, but you are excited to develop primarily in Kotlin. You enjoy reviewing teammates’ code and having your code reviewed. You believe code isn’t complete until the tests are written and CI build passes. You care about and understand different app architectures and design patterns but are pragmatic about the application of these, favoring shipping easy to maintain code. You have a great understanding of how “always online” products like Help Scout communicate with web services in an unpredictable Android reality. You can help us design everything to fail gracefully and leverage local storage to provide customers with a seamless offline / online experience. You delight not only in the way an application works, but in how it looks, and have an excellent understanding of Android interaction design and how to create a perfect user experience. You are passionate about the Android ecosystem and stay up-to-date on the Android platform and can provide insightful advice about leveraging native platform features. You have experience digging through crash reports and metrics to find ways to incrementally improve your apps. You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work/management style to be remote-friendly. You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution. You are helpful and empathetic and care about building on our company culture that embraces these qualities.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
- Long-term/Short-term Disability Insurance & Life Insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST Disability insurance and base Life Insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
- Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it, we trust you.
- Sabbatical - After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation plus $2500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or however you’d like to spend that time.
- Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
- 401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
- Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
- Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and 27’’ display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
- Home office stipend - Every new hire gets $1000 USD to furnish their home office, and up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
- Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.