As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start an internet business from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Stripe’s backend engineers work on the business logic for all of that.
The EMEA Payments team is working towards a future in which any business across the world can offer the full range of payment methods. The team builds, integrates and runs EMEA payment methods processing Billions of Euros annually. The team resolves complexities across a fragmented market by surfacing one simple way to accept these payments. Engineers on the team work to expand the reach of Stripe’s global payments network, design and implement novel payment capabilities, and deliver best-in-class reliability and performance.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. You’ll get to work with other engineers to build delightful features that span various parts of the system.
- Work with a wide range of systems and teams to deliver a solid foundation for our global payment method integrations.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Stripe’s engineering teams.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Own and optimize several critical parts of Stripe’s online payment processing flow.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations.
You May Be Fit For This Role If You:
- Love to design systems that are elegant abstractions over complex patterns/practices, especially in the financial industry.
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.