Job Title: Backend Developer
Reports to: CTO
Position type: Full time
About The Dyrt
The Dyrt is the #1 ranked camping app on both iOS and Android. With over 1 million user-submitted campgrounds, reviews, and tips — more than anyone else on the Internet — The Dyrt makes it easier to find campgrounds for the 80+ million Americans who camp.
We offer an amazing benefits package that includes:
- Remote work environment so you can work from almost anywhere
- Stock options
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Incredible time off starting with 3 weeks of PTO your first year, 4 weeks your second year
- Standard holidays off
- Extra bonus week off between Christmas Eve and New Years
- Paid camping opportunities (during working hours)
- Competitive pay and signing bonus to set up your home office
The Dyrt is seeking a talented backend developer with a Ruby background to join our team as we solve exciting new problems in the outdoor space. In this role, you’ll be working to evolve and maintain our API, data processing pipelines, and other backend systems.
This is a full-time, remote position. We’re primarily based in Portland, OR and expect working hours to overlap +/- 3 hours with US Pacific time.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are great communicators — Effective communication is key to how we work. We value patience and empathy in our product planning, support, and day-to-day relations.
- Work well both collaboratively and independently — You’ll be working on a team of 2–3 developers. We come together to pair on tricky problems and architecture, then dive deep on individual tasks.
- Are ready to learn and share knowledge — Everyone comes to our company with their own set of skills and experiences. Cross-training, code review, mentorship, and curiosity all help us build better products.
- Work closely with our web and mobile developers on the implementation of new product features
- Collaborate on API design and architecture decisions
- Diagnose and troubleshoot backend issues in production
- Maintain integrations with external services, such as Stripe, Iterable, Mapbox, and our campground partners
- Update and maintain existing API functionality
- 3+ years of backend development experience on production apps
- A strong knowledge of Ruby and familiarity with Rails
- A solid understanding of object-oriented programming and design
- Relational database skills — we use PostgreSQL views, triggers, and functions
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Knowledge of JSON-API
- Familiarity with DevOps tools and cloud infrastructure management