Memberstack’s current version of the application is built on Webflow (front-end), Node, Express, and Mongo (backend). With a scrappy MVP, we’ve been able to scale to 1,500+ customers who have made over $10M in revenue using Memberstack.
We built Memberstack’s initial payments architecture on Stripe, and are looking to make full use of the Stripe API. We’re also exploring other payments gateways like PayPal to let our customers process payments through multiple gateways via Memberstack.
This role is critical to our mission. You will be responsible for building functionality for thousands of customers and extending the scope of our payments product. Your work will impact thousands of people to build, operate, and scale their online businesses.
What to expect
🏁 The hiring process: https://www.notion.so/memberstack/Hiring-Process-O…
👋 Week one: Hit the ground running. Our 4 person product team is small, busy, and excited to work with someone they can trust to get the job done. Our primary goals in that first week are for you to feel comfortable with our stack, introduced to the team, and ready to co-architect a payments system ready to handle hundreds of millions of dollars in the coming years. You’ll work closely with the rest of the team, and they’ll trust that what you’re building is following industry best practices, easy to use, and scalable.
🌱 Month one: We’re in the process of rebuilding our product and migrating to 2.0. We’ll need your help supporting existing customers who occasionally have Stripe related questions. This will be a great opportunity to meet some of our (wonderful) customers. The majority of your time will go into developing payment functionality for the future of Memberstack.
🌳 Long term: This role will never go away! We don’t expect you to stay forever, but we’d love if you did. We’re in this for the long haul, and we’re here to support your goals.
- You’re proficient with backend technologies like Node, Express, and GraphQL.
- You have extensive knowledge of the Stripe API, and are excited to apply it in a complex product.
- You’re enthusiastic about working with different APIs beyond Stripe.
- You know to how to architect and build scalable infrastructure to help scale Memberstack to the next level as a mission critical tool for online businesses and teams.
- You know how to refactor existing applications into clearer, standardized, documented, and testable applications.
- You love developing software applications from start to finish: through conception, research, maintenance, and polish — to build delightful products that perform reliably.
- You can code, test, debug, and automate complex applications on the back-end, but are not afraid to occasionally help in the front-end.
- You’re able to operate with a high degree of independence & autonomy.
- You’re a product-builder at heart and care about building meaningful, exceptional technology.
- You have clear written & verbal communication skills in English.
- You’ve previously engineered products that have been used by a lot of people.
- You’ve previously helped scale API’s to operate in a multi-region capacity.
- You’re fluent with other payment gateways in addition to Stripe, such as PayPal.
- You’re excited about working with other payment gateway APIs.
If even 60% of this role description sounds like you, we’d be delighted to hear from you. There’s a lot to the role, but we’ve deliberately kept the descriptions short & sweet. 🍦
🌃🌄 Flexible work hours
Set your own hours. Get up early, stay up late — pick whatever days and times work best for you or when you feel most productive.
⛵ Fully remote team
Live anywhere you want! We just ask that either the majority of your year is spent in the -7 GMT to +2 GMT timezones, or that you’re available in those timezones.
💻 Gear & office setup!
Request the gear you need to succeed — a laptop, standing desk, co-working space, etc. — and we’ll help you get going (up to $4,000).
🧠 Access to a top 1% network
We have the support of a lot of kind and helpful advisors/investors who have previously built meaningful technology that we all use everyday. We have access to an extended network — which means we can reach out to folks who are top-of-field in their industry/work for guidance anytime.
💼 Consulting budget
Everyone is expected to work with mentors, advisors, consultants, and industry pro’s whenever possible. Ask questions, get feedback, build something, or whatever! We’ll cover the fees and/or help arrange the calls.
⛰️ Team retreats
We’ll get the team together once or twice each year to work face-to-face and go on adventures.
🗺️ Travel friendly
Take your work on the road! All we ask is that you set/share your work schedule at least 1 week in advance and let us know if there are any specific days or times you will be unavailable.
🏃♀️ Health insurance
75% contribution for US employees. Varies for international teammates.
🌴 Paid Vacation
Start with 10-minimum vacation days of paid time off, plus national holidays. And we all get December 25–January 1 off!