At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
We’re looking for engineers who are mindful, empathetic, self-aware, and ambitious to join our team to help us move thinking forward. With a focus on growth and personal development, Medium is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
What will you do?
The core platform team is responsible for the systems that orchestrate continuous service integration and delivery. This includes Kubernetes, Istio service mesh, observability via Prometheus, and custom-built Kubernetes operators and tooling.
As a core platform engineer you will help us design, build, and improve the platform that all Medium services run on.
Who are you?
- You have a strong understanding of production systems.
- You have 3+ years of software engineering experience.
- You are passionate about availability and performance.
- You have a deep understanding of backend infrastructure.
- You are proficient at programming and interacting with APIs.
- You are flexible, resilient, and curious.
- You draw inspiration from prior art, but you feel compelled to innovate beyond it.
- You respectfully challenge your peers, and welcome when others challenge your thinking.
We’d particularly love it if:
- You have experience with AWS or other cloud providers
- You have experience with observability stacks such as Prometheus
- You have experience with service mesh systems such as Istio
- You have experience with orchestration systems such as Kubernetes, Mesos or ECS
- You have worked in a service-oriented or microservice architecture
This role can be based in San Francisco, New York, or be remote within the U.S.