hi there, thanks for stopping by.
What follows is a bit lengthy, but will give you a better idea of what we do, what we value and how we work. what we do
You know those websites that make it impossible to add an item to your cart, sign up for a newsletter or enter your credit card information? Sooo frustrating, right?! Instead of buying the pants or entering your email, you throw up your hands, mutter a curse word or two and immediately head over to YouTube to watch cat videos.
At surefoot, we make life easier for web surfers and shoppers like you.
We ease user frustrations, improve conversions and craft data stories that help our clients make sound, data-informed business decisions.
How, you ask?
In short, we formulate hypotheses based on data from sources like Google Analytics, HotJar and customer service data, which allow us to identify the biggest friction points on our clients’ sites. Then, we validate or invalidate our hypotheses in the form of A/B tests, whose results we (you) analyze to determine the optimal site experience. data analyst role and requirements
As a data analyst at surefoot, your human interaction will mostly consist of conversations with our strategic directors and clients. However, your primary interactions will be with our clients’ datasets. We’ll look to you to analyze the results of our clients’ tests and distill that hard data into digestible “data stories” that can be universally understood by everyone from the intern to the CEO.
In other words, some of your time will be spent crunching numbers while the other portion will be spent translating those numbers to English, helping “non-numbers speaking people” understand what the data means.
If you’re still with us, here are the requirements:
- 4-5+ years of professional experience in data analysis and statistics
- deep experience with Google Analytics; preferably GAIQ certified
- top notch communicator with good writing skills, grammar and grasp of the English language
- demonstrated expertise communicating results and actionable insights from in-depth analysis to decision makers
- experience developing Keynote or Google Slides presentations with a strategic focus
- exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail (e.g., if you found an error in this job description, it is still bugging you)
- self-motivation, ability to work independently and remotely
- strong desire to continuously learn and grow
- craves feedback and accepts it with gratitude
- high emotional intelligence
- hobbies outside of work
- experience with A/B testing or personalization
- working knowledge of statistical frameworks and concepts pertinent to A/B testing, including Frequentist and Bayesian statistics, p-values, confidence intervals, minimum detectable effect, etc.
- experience writing SQL, wrangling spreadsheet data, and analyzing data using R or Python
- experience with tools like Optimizely, Dynamic Yield, VWO, HotJar, Mixpanel
- interest in the outdoors or staying active (many of our clients fall into the outdoors and active lifestyle industry)
- funny GIF library, good emoji usage, sense of humor
nitty gritty details
- Base salary: $80,000 to $90,000 (depending on experience) + benefits (health, paid vacation and holidays, self care bonuses, all-hands trips, fully remote team)
- The position is open to U.S. (W2) and Canadian-based (independent contractor) applicants only. No Visa sponsorship is provided.
our values and culture
Our values are extremely important to us and we stake the company on them. This means that even the Grand Poobah of analysts won’t be considered if our values don’t align.
be nice and do the right thing. We firmly believe that this world could use a bit more kindness so we strive to infuse it throughout our interactions – with clients, each other, our communities and all those we meet. Doing the right thing means we refuse to waiver on doing what is best for our business or our clients, even if it means less upside for us.
own your mistakes, learn from them and move on. Our preferred path is to “fail fast”. In other words, identify your mistakes, take ownership, discuss what you learned, identify solutions for ways to correct them so they don’t happen again and move on.
dedication to your craft and our clients. While we do track how many hours are spent working on each client, we value output over hours. As long as you’re a US citizen, we don’t much care where you work from. However, we do care a whole damn lot that your work is done with efficiency, precision and pride.
channel your inner entrepreneur and make it easy for people to say “yes”. If a process isn’t working or hindering you in some way, don’t wait to be asked to fix it. Instead, like Nike says, Just Do It™. Make it work for you. Experiment. You’re a smart, capable person so don’t ask permission. Arrive with a well-thought-out solution that makes it easy for everyone to say “yes” to, you smarty, you.
ready to apply?
Since we are a remote team, we have a somewhat atypical interview process. For the first step of the interview phase, we ask applicants to show basic competency in the necessary skill sets.
If all is well there, you’ll move on to phase two which involves a Zoom video call to get to know one another a bit better. If we’re feeling good about that, we’ll contact your references.
And finally, if your references check out and confirm you’re not a stabber, we’ll ask you to do some actual paid work with us to determine fit for both parties.
To apply, compose an email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- your responses to these 3 short exercises: https://sf.surefoot.me/qlknJs
- any relevant experience you have with a/b testing, data analysis, user research, etc.
- contact info for 3-4 references (will only be contacted if you move through phase 1)