We’re Chip. We’re here to make saving effortless, easy and fun. Our mission is to build the best savings app in the world.
We help people save up money automatically. In fact, we’ve automatically saved more than £150 million for tens of thousands of our savers already.
We’ve done all this by using AI, Open Banking and a disruptive approach to traditional banking.
Now, we’re helping people get better returns automatically, too.
You can open a market leading savings account in a couple of taps in Chip, as well as deposit, track and withdraw your money.
As you sit back, save and earn interest, we’ll keep going to the banks on your behalf to negotiate better rates.
This was a service that used to only be available to the super-rich, but we’ve done some clever things to pool Chip savers’ money, so we can negotiate with banks like you’re a millionaire.
Sounds pretty good, eh? And we’re just getting started.
Chip is being built by a fast-growing team of designers, developers, customer service professionals, marketers, banking experts, and entrepreneurs, with the backing of more than 11,000 investors and a huge community of Chip savers.
We’re growing fast, and we have some very exciting plans. So we need a Data Engineer to help us make them happen.
Good data should be the heart of any business and here at Chip we’re striving for excellent data to empower us to make excellent decisions. Working alongside our engineering team we are looking to find a Data Engineer to help us collect, transform and store and serve that data across all sectors of the business.
We collect a lot of important data from all aspects of our business and we need engineers to help us write tools to ensure that data is accurate and consistent. Using any and all tools and languages necessary to give us the power to do everything from lending decisions to deciding which features we should develop.
What you can expect to be doing:
- Develop robust ETL pipelines and automated processes for ingesting and processing data
- Developing, managing and extending data warehouse and data models to provide a robust foundation for internal reporting.
- Ensure best practices are followed with regard to security and infrastructure
- Creating and maintaining relevant documentation
- Spot opportunities for improvement on data engineering and business intelligence best practices
- Advise on data modelling and reporting best practice
- Working with the engineering team to ensure application design accommodates reporting and analytics requirements
What we’re really looking for
- Advanced level knowledge of SQL and/or experience managing Data Warehouses
- Knowledge of AWS and GCP cloud platforms
- Confident getting hands-on with Python to process data and automate processes
- Confident interacting with Databases and web APIs and processing data
- Good understanding of reporting and data modelling best practices
- Good written and verbal communication skills and an ability to translate problems into technical requirements and implement a solution.
- Take requirements from someone non-technically minded, implement the solution and then explain your solution to a software engineer
- Work within the Data team reporting to the Head of Data Engineering
What we’re really looking for: ✍️
Although we’re in the financial space, and under the scrutiny that comes with it, the current engineering team works well together, and even sometimes with a smile. We’re sure you’ve got the technical skills, otherwise you would have stopped reading by now, so let us be clear in what will make us want to work with you.
We want a real person, with interests outside of code, to join our work family. You could be a dancer, a gamer, a musician, a parent, a hockey fan, or even that one person that still writes Twilight fan-fiction. Doesn’t matter to us. At the interview stages will be looking for empathy, eq, fun stories, and ability to smile even when things are tough. Code monkeys need not apply.
- £45,000 - £50,000 per annum dependant on experience
- Discretionary share option bonus every 6 months
- Workplace pension scheme (Employer: 3% / Employee: 4% / Tax Relief: 1% / Total: 8%)
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited holiday (28 days contracted but policy not to count) ✈️
- Free Classpass membership or gym membership
- Company laptop
- Based in the heart of Chancery Lane
- Opportunity to have a huge impact on our product while fast-tracking your knowledge, responsibility and skills in a high growth fintech startup 🚀
Our Interview process: 📖
- Phone Screen with someone from our Talent team
- Short take home test
- Video interview with the hiring manager
- Final Interview with HR