Help Scout is a product-led company with 10,000+ paying customers across 140 countries. As our first product marketing leader, your mission is to help us earn the next 10,000 customers and beyond.
We have some established processes and roles that support product marketing throughout the organization, and we’re looking for an experienced person to write the playbook and build a team to help you execute it. You’ll be responsible for core components of our go-to-market strategy, including audience segmentation and research; product positioning and messaging; feature launches; competitive intelligence; and sales enablement.
Although you will be part of our marketing team, you’ll collaborate closely with our product, engineering, design, support, and leadership teams, playing a key role in the evolution of our product and business.
As Director of Product Marketing, you will …
- Build and lead a high-performance team. Product marketing has been a team effort up to this point. Once you are up and running, you’ll be hiring 2-4 people to be part of the team.
- Develop a deep understanding of our products, buyers, and market. You’ll develop a keen understanding of our ideal customer profiles and share them across the business so that all teams feel informed. You’ll develop messaging and positioning that’s effective in acquiring these customers, speaking to the challenges they are trying to solve.
- Own the marketing strategy for product launches. You’ll define the process for communicating product updates across teams and to our customers. This includes defining the target audience(s); developing value-oriented messaging; pulling together the launch plan; coordinating all marketing activities; and sharing the results.
- Enable our customer-facing teams. This includes overseeing competitive intelligence and training; making sure key use cases and core benefits are communicated clearly in all product-specific messaging; and producing internal and external product materials including case studies; sales collateral; and internal training sessions.
- You’ve hired, developed, and directly managed marketing teams, and those people have wonderful things to say about you. Bonus points for experience with SMB SaaS or in companies with a hybrid self-service/sales-assisted business model.
- You are an outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You’re comfortable managing across disciplines at all levels of the organization.
- You have a keen ability to rally people around an idea, drive toward alignment and buy-in, and lead them through to execution.
- You’re a creative thinker that can connect technical feature functionality to real-world value, explaining the benefits in language anyone can understand.
- You are results-oriented. For every project or initiative, you enjoy the process of defining and reporting on what success looks like, then galvanizing others around making it happen.
- When needed, you lean in to having difficult conversations with people to resolve a situation and do what is right. You understand the value of direct, transparent, respectful feedback.
- We’re a remote-first company and you can work almost anywhere in the world as long as you have at least 4 hours of overlap with your mostly US-based colleagues.
Who you’ll work with
- Nick Francis, co-founder and CEO – Ultimately you’ll be reporting to the VP of Marketing, but as we’re currently hiring for that role as well, Nick is running point on this hiring process.
- Ben Henderson — Director of Product, along with our product leads
- Product Specialists in the Support Team - Product specialists represent the voice of the customer, track and report on customer insights, and take the lead on creating documentation.
- The Sales Team—The Help Scout sales team inverts the way sales is typically done. They’re passionate about their craft, which entails putting the customer ahead of the sale.
- …plus teammates in Design, Marketing, Finance, and more!
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn’t divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
Home office stipend - Every new hire gets $1,500 USD to furnish their home office, and up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 110 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 10,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.