Level: Senior Associate
Location: Remote - Candidates must be based in the UK
Employment type: FTE
NerdWallet is a personal finance company, founded in 2009 with U.S. headquarters in San Francisco, California, and a team working remotely for NerdWallet UK.
We’re on a mission to provide clarity for all of life’s financial decisions. We provide consumers with expert, personalized and actionable guidance across a range of personal finance topics, including credit cards, banking, loans, investing and general personal finance.
NerdWallet UK is looking for a full-time editor in the UK with an entrepreneurial spirit to help build a similar experience and resource for the UK audience. This is a non-managerial role with the potential to be a candidate for future management positions on our content team.
To be a successful NerdWallet editor and thrive in our culture, you must:
- Be passionate about helping readers and ensuring that NerdWallet’s articles are consistently engaging, clear and actionable.
- Edit consistently at a high level, demonstrating expertise at not only grammar and style but also at a big-picture level.
- Be passionate about self-improvement and at ease with constructive feedback.
- Work with equal enthusiasm whether you’re leading a project or working within a team.
- Be able to give constructive feedback, work through competing viewpoints and handle challenging conversations effectively.
- Collaborate well with writers and other editors.
Our content team is 80+ strong and includes writers and editors with experience from Bloomberg, the Los Angeles Times, MSN, Reuters, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. We also have staff writers and editors who have spent years as successful freelancers or in fields outside journalism.
What we have in common:
- We take initiative.
- We think strategically.
- We problem-solve effectively.
- We’re flexible.
- We’re highly collaborative.
Where you can make an impact:
- Understand SEO and optimise content for ranking and engagement. At times this may be a substantial portion of your role.
- Ideate, assign and oversee production of content, as needed.
- Help manage freelance writers, and prepare and edit their assignments.
- Develop an understanding of the business plan and objectives of your coverage area, and how content fits into that plan.
- Ensure content is high-quality and user-first, and brings clarity to personal finance decisions.
- Demonstrate growing editorial judgment and topic expertise.
- Show growing creativity and produce different types of quality content within guidelines laid out by assigning editors.
- Go beyond surfacing teamwide problems to offer expertise, conceiving of solutions and helping to implement them.
- Be a strong communicator who truly enjoys helping everyone improve.
- Recognise when elements of an article seem out of alignment with a good user experience and recommend solutions.
- Advocate for consumers by editing for clarity and accuracy.
You are someone who:
- Is an expert editor and writing coach.
- Can effectively manage the logistics and demands of large projects.
- Excels at time management, prioritisation and handling multiple tasks at once.
- Makes good prioritisation decisions, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
- Is tenacious and fast-paced, with obsessive attention to detail.
- Is resourceful and self-directed.
- You can tackle a variety of assignments with minimal direction, and you always deliver polished work.
- Previous experience editing for consumer-facing publications in the UK.
- Experience in a startup environment is a plus.