Build the infrastructure to scale data processing and analytics at Stripe
The Data Services team builds and manages Stripe’s data processing infrastructure. We enable teams at Stripe to use the latest distributed computation technologies, build data products and perform analytics. Our data analytics tools must run reliably and efficiently, supporting tens of thousands of pipelines a day, and make data accessible in a fast and secure manner. We minimize operational toil for the team through regular investment in automation of maintenance operations.
We are looking for a manager who is excited about data architecture and leading a team to solve challenging distributed systems problems, as well as developing empathetic partnerships with other Stripe teams to understand their use-cases and unlock new capabilities.
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to build data infrastructure that manages all of Stripe’s data
- Support the infrastructure for the latest technologies such as Spark, Hadoop, Redshift and Presto
- Support the team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and ease-of-use
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Managed teams that developed and operated critical infrastructure, particularly in the data domain
- A strong quantitative and analytical background
- Worked with geographically distributed teams
- Successfully recruited and built great teams
- An ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Clear and persuasive communication, in writing and in person
- An excitement for collaborating with teammates across engineering to provide a wonderful user experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.