Octopus Deploy is one of Australia’s fastest-growing and most successful software companies. Today we help over 150,000 people worldwide to deliver working software to production.
If you have a commitment to excellence, a desire to delight customers, and want to be a member of a fast-growing team, you’ll love this position.
You will be a great fit for this role if
- You are an experienced people manager, and have been a software developer in the past.
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset (but C# and Typescript experience is helpful).
- You take ultimate responsibility for the people in your team, the way they work, and the results they deliver.
- You empower your team to get things done and you drive results collaboratively.
- You recognise dysfunction in your team and work effectively to resolve it in a timely manner.
- You give radically candid feedback which is timely, actionable, and helpful.
- The feedback you give in performance reviews is rarely a surprise because it summarises the timely, actionable, and helpful feedback your teammate has been receiving.
You will enjoy this role if
- You thrive on solving people problems.
- You like managing a team of autonomous workers, holding them accountable to results and letting them manage how they get there.
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
A typical day might include
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Clarifying the goals, roles, and execution plans for your team.
- Helping your team understand our strategy and how they are contributing to the big picture.
- Proactively coaching people remotely, accelerating them along their personal growth trajectory.
- Being a positive contributor to how we approach people and culture in the engineering team, including hiring, firing, performance reviews, culture fit, salary reviews, and how we pay.