At Doist, our mission is to inspire the workplace of the future by creating simple yet powerful productivity tools that promote a more fulfilling way to work and live.
We’re a multidisciplinary, fully remote team that’s passionate about creating products, like Todoist and Twist, that improve people’s lives. We thrive on innovating new solutions to old productivity challenges and we seek to rethink how productivity tools are made.
When you become a Doister, you’re not only joining a global, remote-first company, but a team of 70+ people who value:
- Independence. Others can trust that you’ll deliver on time and your teammates don’t need to worry about you keeping your word.
- Mastery. You love what you do and care deeply about the quality of your work, down to the smallest details. You’re continuously learning and pushing yourself to the limits of your ability. You’re never satisfied with the status-quo.
- Communication. Your communication is clear, concise, and engaging whether you’re explaining a complex idea or providing feedback to a teammate.
- Balance. You’re mindful about cultivating a healthy work-life balance. You care about the well-being of yourself, your team and the people around you.
- Impact. You’re able to take a bird’s eye view to pinpoint and then solve issues that have a high impact on our customers, our team, and our company. You’re committed to the health and success of both your teammates and Doist as a company.
We invite you to visit our blog to learn more about us, our values, and how we work.
The Frontend team at Doist is looking for a new developer to join their ranks to build the best possible user experience for millions of user across multiple products. How we work
The Frontend team is responsible for all code that runs in a browser. Be it the web apps of Twist and Todoist, browser extensions, electron apps or our landing pages.
Our main product work happens inside cross-disciplinary teams, that we call squads. You can read more about this in our blog. We have a rotating Hero role whose main responsibility is to tackle support issues, fix bugs and work on smaller improvements. On top of that everybody on the team gets a day per week to spend on Housekeeping; during this time we pay back technical debt, fix bugs and in general improve the health of our code base.
We believe in picking the most effective tools to do our best work. At the moment this means most of our communication happens asynchronously in Twist. Code and bugs are managed and reviewed in GitHub. Team meetings are done in Zoom.
We don’t have a lot of scheduled meetings. Once a week the team meets to discuss the previous week and plan the next one. Once a month the whole team comes together for a retrospective to share candid feedback and take a look at the coming month. Day-to-day work
What your work will look like on a day-to-day basis:
- Implement features. From proposal, through specification and implementation, to maintenance. You’re encouraged and expected to propose things that you think can be a good addition to the product.
- Provide feedback. When planning a feature you’re expected to provide feedback on expected challenges and unknowns as early as possible.
- Improve the code quality. With time, our code accumulated some technical debt, which we pay off. Often we do it while we make features, but we also dedicate time to housekeeping each week.
- Be a responsible & exemplary team member. We do code reviews, refactor code, learn new things and share our knowledge. You might also be appointed mentor of a new comer
- Lead a squad. From time to time you might be a squad leader which bears the responsibility for the success of the project. In practical terms, you plan the squad work and orchestrate its execution. You balance this activity with hands-on work within the same squad.
- Be a Hero. During this time you’ll be working closely with the support team to triage and fix bugs from users. Also, you help speed up code reviews and support other teams in their projects.
To thrive as a Frontend Developer at Doist:
- You feel that our values resonate with yours, and you see how they can act as guidance for your day-to-day work.
- You have experience in building complex interactive web applications.
- You have experience in writing automated unit, integration or end-to-end tests.
- You have experience in measuring, analyzing and fixing performance problems.
- You’re able to use and customize tools (e.g. webpack) to streamline our development and build processes.
- You’re able to work autonomously and stay self-motivated. Previous experience working in remote team is a bonus.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English.
We’re bootstrapped, profitable, and committed to building a sustainable company that will grow for decades to come. We’ve built a benefits package that invests in our employee’s long-term personal and professional growth and well-being. Here’s a sample of what that includes:
- Competitive compensation.
- Flexible schedule and location. This is a fully remote position, so you can work from wherever you please and on a schedule that works best for you. All you need is a computer and access to a stable internet connection (which we sponsor!).
- Generous paid vacation + national holidays. You’ll receive 40 days of paid time off to use on vacation and holidays.
- Paid parental leave. 18 weeks of paid maternity leave and 5 weeks of paid paternity/adoption leave.
- Health & well-being stipend. You’ll have a monthly budget to spend on the things that keep you happy and healthy like a gym membership, books, snacks, internet, and health insurance.
- Amazing people. Being a part of the Doist team means you get to work with incredibly diverse, talented people who also enjoy having fun!
- Annual company retreats. Although we work remotely, we still enjoy bringing the whole team together to get to know each other, bond, and have face-to-face discussions in places like Spain (2015), Iceland (2016), Greece (2017), Chile (2018), and the Azores (2019) .
- Meaningful work. Working at Doist isn’t just about getting a job done; it’s about working together to positively influence people and teams all over the world.
- So much more!