We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first engineering team. You will be working on Octopus Deploy, the most popular deployment automation tool in the world. This means everything you do will positively affect the lives of thousands of other software developers around the world.
Already seen enough? Click the button to apply and have a real conversation with one of our engineering leads.
You will join one of our three development teams who work across the entire Octopus ecosystem. We shape, bet, and build using a method inspired by Shape Up. We work in 8-week cycles, focusing on directed work for 6-weeks, and cooling-down with undirected work for 2-weeks at the end of each cycle. We remove unnecessary obstacles so you can work directly with customers who are developers just like us. Our teams are software crafters care about doing things right the first time. You will probably be surprised at how collaboratively we work both inside and across our teams, even though our teams work remotely. We take pride in our hard-earned, friendly, consensus-building, and ever-improving remote-first culture.
Working at Octopus may be different from any other job you’ve had before. In many companies, software engineers are treated as an expense to reduce or a revenue stream to increase. In contrast, Octopus is a product company built from the ground up by engineers, for engineers. At Octopus your effort will be appreciated because you are adding value to our products, which are our assets. Also, our customers are people just like us. This makes it easy to relate to our customers and understand what they care about most.
Octopus is not done. Many of us came to Octopus thinking “it does everything I want, how can I possibly help?” Continual changes in the software landscape present a constant stream of opportunities for us to explore. We will continue to make Octopus the best tool in its class by increasing the value Octopus offers, pushing into new territory beyond deployment automation, all the while making Octopus easier and more delightful to use for both simple and complex scenarios alike. If you like solving distributed computing problems, building delightful user experiences, or anything in between, you can do that with us.
Octopus is not a startup. We do not need venture capital, we have been a sustainably profitable business from day one. We care about building a sustainable company and we do this by helping customers succeed, leaving increased revenue as a happy byproduct.
Keep reading if you want more details about the job. Otherwise, click the button to apply and have a real conversation with one of our engineering leads.
A typical day might include
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
You will be a great fit for this role if
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You have a firm grasp of software craftsmanship using any language or toolset but preferably C# and TypeScript.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
You will enjoy this role if
- You are a software consultant or contractor looking to invest your effort into a successful and lasting product.
- You are a software team lead looking for a better balance of coding and leadership.
- You are a valuable individual contributor looking to expand your horizons with a world-class software company.
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
- You enjoy solving complex distributed computing, automation, security, performance, and usability problems.
- You like working with great tools like the latest versions of C#, .NET, TypeScript, and React, in the development environment of your choice.
- You like working with customers directly, helping them be successful with Octopus, even if success proves to be elusive.
- You enjoy doing things the right way from the very beginning knowing you are working on a valuable asset.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We’ve become the “best in class” tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we now have over 20,000 happy customers around the world, and we employ 50 wonderful people.
We’re not VC-funded; we’ve been profitable since day one and there’s no big exit plan. It’s all about the journey and building something that will last forever. In 2017 we were the #3 fastest growing company in Australia, and while we’ve grown quickly, we’ve done it conservatively. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we’ve spread to other parts of Australia, the US, UK, and Argentina. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home most of the week, so we’ve built a remote-first culture.
We hope that you’ll do your best work while at Octopus, and we trust you to find ways to work that work best for you and invest in your journey. That means freedom to choose the best location from which to work each day: it might mean working from home, from an office, a cafe, or a co-working place, or some combination through the day - whatever makes you most productive and able to do your best work that day. We know that great knowledge workers need great tools, and we have various programs available including a program to choose your own laptop, and an allowance for setting up the ultimate home office set up. We have a helpful, personable approach to feedback (1:1’s and 360 reviews from your peers), a professional development program that revolves around your career journey and preparing you for the future, and a standardized approach to salary & job title reviews.
Most importantly, we believe that what matters most in a job is the people you work with each day, knowing you’re working on something that matters, where your work is appreciated, you have the opportunity to learn and grow, and where you have a manager that supports you. We work hard every day to ensure Octopus is a great place to work by those measures.