At Fishtown Analytics, our mission is to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. The product we create, dbt (data build tool, https://getdbt.com), is used by thousands of companies every week, and that number is growing fast. We’re looking for a software engineer to build cloud applications that make using dbt even more delightful and powerful.
Who we are
At Fishtown Analytics, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself — not just analytics tools — will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Over the course of the past several years we’ve built a community of 4,000+ people and 1,300 companies who are using our ideas, products, and workflows to conduct analytics, including Lyft, Monzo, GitLab, Snowflake, the ACLU, Amazon, JetBlue, and RentTheRunway. Our product, dbt (https://www.getdbt.com/), has come to be synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry.
We’re on a mission to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. If this sounds like a mission you could get behind, we’re excited to get your help to continue to power this growth into the future.
In this role you can expect to…
- Collaborate with the product and dbt core development teams to develop our SaaS, dbt Cloud
- Build the next generation of UI components and platform features that will make dbt more accessible, delightful, and powerful
- Work with variety of programming languages, systems, and technologies, including: Python, Postgres, Kubernetes, and AWS
You are probably a good fit if you…
- Have strong fundamentals in a variety of software development paradigms (e.g. object oriented, functional)
- Understand how to make tradeoffs to ship useful features today without sacrificing long-term quality
- Value interacting with end-users and deeply understanding their needs
- Are highly motivated and able to work autonomously
You have an edge if you…
- Have worked on a small team developing and deploying a SaaS product
- Have direct experience scaling out data platforms, especially with Kubernetes and/or AWS
- Have experience working on a distributed team
- Salary: $70k - $110k
- Equity stake
- Benefits: Unlimited vacation, 401k w/ 3% guaranteed contribution, health/vision/dental insurance, and paid parental leave