Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
Earlier this year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
Thorn’s General Counsel will work with Thorn’s executive team to provide in-house support and advice on all legal matters related to the general business operations of Thorn, ensuring legal and ethical compliance with local, state and federal laws. Advise on legal matters including non-profit corporate governance, contracts, human resources, benefits, insurance, risk management, privacy, and data security. Stay up-to-date on proposed legislation, regulations, and public interest litigation that pertains to Thorn’s mission.
What You’ll Do:
- Guide Executive Team and staff (as necessary) on legal matters relating to general business operations
- Ensure legal and ethical compliance with local, state and federal laws across international jurisdictions in which Thorn operates.
- Draft, review, and assist in the maintenance of legal documents including contracts, agreements, policies and procedures, and other documents.
- Act as liaison with outside counsel and advisors.
- Support court proceedings as needed where Thorn products were used.
- Manage policies and procedures to support compliance for government contracts, data security, and GDPR.
- Develop and implement special projects as requested by the CEO.
- Support risk and quality management by helping identify and mitigate risks.
- Maintain the highest level of professional and ethical standards and to act in compliance with both the letter and spirit of all applicable laws and regulations.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- Must have a law degree from a recognized university
- Must be admitted to a recognized bar
- Must have 5+ years of experience gained in a large law firm and/or in-house with a major company
- Significant experience in technology and intellectual property transactions, privacy and data security
- Experience with federal contract compliance
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with others at all levels of the organization
- Strong negotiating skills with both legal and financial/commercial issues
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships across all departments
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Some prior knowledge of the issue is a big plus
- Desire to serve Thorn’s mission