Ha Nguyen says, “Build products customers love — not like. It’s not ‘nice’ or ‘fine.’ People have to love it so much they’ll tell their friends about it. That’s when you know you’ve hit gold.”
We’re looking for an experienced Product Manager who believes in Product Led Growth and is looking for a role where it won’t feel like you’re selling your soul for MRR. At Help Scout, you’ll join a team of diverse, passionate people from around the world to help build on our existing base of 10,000+ customers. We’re at a pivotal point in the company’s growth and you’ll have the opportunity to develop the engine for a company that is socially conscious and customer first.
Building great products is tough at the best of times, and doing it remotely requires a special type of person and passion. If this unique challenge appeals to you, we’d love to talk!
About the role
- You’d be responsible for ensuring that customers are setup for success with Help Scout from Day 1, and that they love it so much that they tell their friends.
- You’ll spend most of your time working hands-on with cross-functional design and engineering teams to find new ways of delivering value to customers.
- Your team will be made up of a few engineers, a design lead, and an engineering coach. Together, you’ll own the growth engine and onboarding areas of the product and work to iteratively deliver Product Led improvements and new features that drive customer growth and expansion.
- Starting with customer research and data, you’ll be working alongside Product, Sales and Marketing leads to understand the needs of companies who buy Help Scout.
- You’ll constantly iterate on our process and help define better ways of working.
- You will be the voice of the business within the team. You deeply understand the market, emerging trends, and where the business opportunities lie.
- You’ll be responsible for the successful launch of everything the team ships, which means being accountable for the quality of the solution and the impact that it has on both customers and the business. You’ll define meaningful outcomes and measure results against those standards to make sure we’re always meeting our high bar of excellence.
- You’ll work alongside Sales and Product Marketing to effectively launch and market what you build, so a good understanding of their core principles will be useful, and experience valued.
A typical day for for a Product Lead at Help Scout
- Talking with current and potential customers to understand their challenges and pain points clearly.
- Writing insightful, clear, and helpful product briefs to ensure everyone on the team has the context they need to do their best work. Remotely collaborating with your teams via video chat, Paper docs, Trello and Slack.
- Working with key stakeholders to define the roadmap and strategy.
- Working closely with the design and engineering leads to define solutions to the problems you’ve outlined and prioritized.
- You’ve worked on and led cross-functional teams before, and bring a background in design or engineering to the mix.
- You are a natural collaborator, and know the best results happen when a team is working well together. You constantly inspire them by providing context (the why) and strong evidence of the customer and business value of what they’re working on.
- You are driven by making things people love to use. You are excited by solving complex problems in the simplest possible way, and seeing customers respond in a positive way.
- You have a history of being able to manage the delicate balance between business and customer needs, and how to make hard decisions related to the two.
- You lead with customer research so that you can understand their challenges clearly and communicate them with your teammates to solve problems collaboratively.
- You’re able to identify what a great product looks and feels like, and have the confidence to challenge the team to produce the best possible result when you know it’s not up to standard.
- You are an empathetic, outstanding communicator, both verbally and in writing. You’re able to take complex subjects and break them down using clear, simple writing.
- You have worked in a growth function in BRB SaaS organizations before, so you can lead from experience, not just raw talent.
- You are thoughtful, organized, and disciplined. * You take initiative and ownership to see things through to completion.
- You are located between UTC-5 and UTC+1. For example, you could work 9-5 from either Nova Scotia/Boston/Brazil or UK/France.
Who you’ll work with
- Ben Henderson, Director of Product – You’ll be reporting to Ben. Together, you’ll sharpen product strategy, execute on it daily, and document what you’re learning along the way. You’ll collaborate across business areas to ensure the whole product organization is working together effectively and towards the same goals.
- Julie Hammers and Ulaize Troyas - Our Product Leads who will help get you up to speed!
- Megan Chinburg, VP of Engineering - Working with Megan, you’ll empower your cross-functional team to deliver delightful products and experiences to our customers.
- Nick Francis, co-founder and CEO – Nick is extremely passionate about product and provides a strong vision for Help Scout. You’ll work closely with him on the business priorities of your product teams and maintaining the highest level of quality in what we ship.
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn’t divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Great tools - Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
Home office stipend - Every new hire gets $1,000 USD to furnish their home office, and up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.