Fastly helps the world’s most popular digital businesses keep pace with their customer expectations by delivering fast, secure, and scalable online experiences. Businesses trust Fastly to accelerate the pace of technical innovation, mitigate evolving threats, and scale on demand. Founded in 2011, Fastly powers online destinations including Airbnb, GitHub, Alaska Airlines, Pinterest, Vimeo, The Guardian, and The New York Times.
The worldwide cloud services market is projected to grow rapidly to $236 billion in 2020, according to Forrester, Inc. As more and more businesses move operations to the cloud, Fastly is well positioned to continue increasing CDN, cloud networking and cloud security market share with edge cloud services that reach beyond content delivery.
We’re building a better Internet. Come join us.
Fastly is looking for dedicated individuals to run and scale our growing global infrastructure. We operate diverse environments that span the planet, across bare metal and cloud alike. As a Production Engineer, you and your team will be responsible for ensuring that Fastly’s Edge Cloud Platform is available and performant 24x7, while continuously shipping improvements. Our feature teams, network engineers, and other operational teams will be not only your close collaborators, but also your customers. Whether you’re a crafty coder or surgical sysadmin, we have a place for you in Production Engineering.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for “Keeping the lights on” at Fastly
- Bring strong discipline, cleanliness, and repeatability to all production activities
- Diagnose and resolve performance and reliability issues across the entire stack: application, operating system, network, kernel, firmware, hardware, including cross-application dependencies
- Find and execute on opportunities to create automation and reduce toil
- Contribute to the construction and improvement of new operational platforms
- Advocate for, and help build, the observability, tools, leverage, and supporting systems necessary to remove friction from operations
- Participate in an on-call tour of duty
- Meticulously document everything you do, and every system or process you interact with
What We’re Looking For
Strong technical contributors who exhibit some subset of the following:
- 2+ years of DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering experience
- Deep skills on the spectrum of software engineer to sysadmin
- Experience being responsible for uptime of web-scale systems
- Delight in engaging at the OS and/or platform level as necessary
- Experience operating large-scale infrastructure in bare metal, major public clouds, or both
- Ability to rapidly adapt and self-educate
- A keen desire to grow new skills and move up the stack
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!