At Notarize, we’re pulling the future closer. As the first company to complete a legal online notarization, online mortgage closing, online will, online auto sale, and countless other critical transactions, we’re proud of our role in bringing industries into the digital age. Digital transformation at Notarize may require new products, new legislation, new partnerships, or new teams and new ways of working. We’ve never shied from doing whatever it takes to help people with life’s most important transactions, online, and we’re building the team to operate a critical platform company in tomorrow’s economy.
We’re looking for a senior-level Back-End Engineer to join our growing team. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team, working with designers, front-end & back-end developers, and product managers as you design, build and extend systems to support our consumer-facing products.
- The main pieces of our back-end stack are Ruby on Rails 6.0.3, Postgres through AWS RDS, Redis/Sidekiq and Heroku. We also use React.js and GraphQL with Apollo on the front-end, but we consider ourselves platform agnostic. A willingness to learn and experiment with new tech is much more important than hands-on experience with our current stack. Most importantly, we want thoughtful, collaborative engineers who are comfortable adapting to new technology and new opportunities. We are solving complex challenges to scale our tech stack 10X, 100X to meet the rapid growth of the company.
What you’ll do as a Senior Back-End Engineer at Notarize:
- Design, build, extend, and support a highly available and scalable infrastructure
- Be involved in all phases of development, from ideation to release to tracking and analyzing the impact of shipped features
- Thoroughly test your own code, from unit tests to automated end-to-end tests
- Provide leadership and critical input on the design of our technologies and services
- Own/drive/carry projects end to end
- Develop integrations with many third parties to ingest more transactional volume
- Solve scalability demands with more performant DB queries / redesign of DB tables / heavy data migrations / memory concerns / code timing
- Encourage changes for simplicity and efficiency (e.g. rewrite legacy code / change logic for less complexity, nothing is final)
What we’re looking for:
- Five plus years of experience in product software development
- A love of problem solving, and delivering innovative product solutions to improve people’s lives
- Hands-on experience building and shipping software and web applications
- An ability to contribute effectively on any part of the stack - from back-end services to data layers to web interfaces
- A belief in thorough unit test coverage, strong test case scenarios - you actively consider the different ways features will be used
- A desire to create quality products and tools that people can actually use
- A passion for clean / simple / tidy code
- A resolve to find solutions by all means, work autonomously, never get stuck on a problem and wait to be told what to do
- Effective communication and active listening skills, with a thoughtful, collaborative approach to problem-solving
Our Engineering Culture:
- Learn it: You will tackle complex tech problems in areas of performance, scalability and security. You will innovate on our existing solutions, as well as learn new ways to invent our future. You will share your knowledge and experience with other engineers.
- Communicate it: You’ll be part of a small, cross-functional team (no silos) with a highly collaborative process that values thoughtful communication, not just with other engineers but with all parts of the organization.
- Ship it: We release to production weekly, with multiple interim builds to testing environments. All builds depend on continuous, automated end-to-end integration tests.
- Fix it: We’re a small startup with big plans, and there’s so much to do. Whether it’s an antiquated legal process, an edge-case user interaction, a quirky piece of code, or a desk that hasn’t been put together yet, we show up every day with the goal of digging in and leaving something better than we found it.
Some of our benefits:
- Competitive salaries & equity
- Heavily subsidized medical, dental, and vision
- Unlimited PTO & flexible work schedules
- Paid parental leave
- Annual budget for personal learning & development
- Small, cross-functional teams
- Strong emphasis on collaboration & mentorship
- Paid lunches (through Grubhub) & regular Lunch & Learn sessions