At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the team:
We believe in continuously improving our skills and codebase, work/life balance, and doing things right over doing them fast. We’re looking for individuals who share this view and are excited about writing quality code, trying new technologies, and playing well with others. Scribd has an immense content catalog & millions of users which means you will be able to tackle exciting & challenging projects. The software you will write will have a big impact for our company, our product and our users.This team is dedicated to improving the quality & productivity of engineering at Scribd. This work includes improving our development & staging environments, working on our operational toolset, building out advanced functionality & improvements to our CI/CD technologies & workflows, and supporting further automation for testing. This team uses a wide variety of technologies with Ruby on Rails, Go & node.js being the most prominent. We’re looking for strong engineers with exceptional problem-solving skills who want to work independently and own large, complicated projects. You’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces. You have exquisite attention to detail. You’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. Collaboration, time management, and communication are as important as your technical skills.
- Leading and implementing projects that deliver value to engineers at Scribd while considering quality, maintainability, performance, scale, and observability.
- Driving framework & language upgrades - establishing & executing on a plan to keep up-to-date with the latest & greatest our technologies have to offer
- Contributing to improvements to our CI/CD workflows & optimizing our automated test suites
- Modernizing our tool suite - with newer & better maintained open-source alternatives, or more performant technologies & implementations.
- Improving or building solutions that address technical debt, architectural gaps and other impediments that slow engineers down.
- Advocacy & empowerment - building functionality & tooling is important, being able to advocate the benefits to tool changes, new processes, and the link may be more-so
- Strong background with 5 or more years of industry experienceConsiderable experience with one of - Ruby on Rails, or Go
- Interest in building high-impact tools and empowering engineers.
- Experience shipping clean, maintainable code that works.
- Background in algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving.
- Experience with Docker, AWS ECS and/or Kubernetes is preferred but not mandatory
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents. • Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans • 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period • Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd! • Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day • Referral bonuses • Tuition Reimbursement • Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs • Learning & Development and Coaching programs • Monthly flexible Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit • Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform • Work Life Balance flexibility • Company events + Scribdchats • Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family