Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn allows you to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you can bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy issues, you could be an excellent fit for our team.
Our CEO took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a motivated, well-rounded, seasoned Senior Counsel to join Thorn’s Legal team! In this role, you’ll ensure legal input helps drive our work forward. Working remotely, you’ll build relationships across a dynamic, values-first organization and you’ll play a key role in structuring, drafting, and negotiating a wide range of contracts, advising on legal issues, and developing creative solutions that manage risk and push the organization forward.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as the primary legal point of contact and partner for multiple teams across the organization.
- Draft, negotiate, review, interpret, and assist in the maintenance of legal documents covering a range of Thorn’s activities across the child safety ecosystem, including developing, enhancing, and maintaining policies, contract templates, trainings, guidelines, and procedures to ensure legal compliance and operational efficiency.
- Provide legal advice on a wide range of legal matters, including in the areas of technology development, SaaS, data security, licensing, intellectual property, marketing, and contracts (including government contracts).
- Develop creative solutions that support internal and external stakeholders and drive enterprise risk management across Thorn.
- Help manage and triage outside counsel work.
- Maintain the highest level of professional and ethical standards and to act in compliance with both the letter and spirit of all applicable laws and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Passion to serve Thorn’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, communication, organizational, negotiation, and drafting skills and ability to establish strong working relationships with stakeholders.
- Excellent legal and operational judgment, critical thinking, and the propensity to find practical solutions to complex or intractable problems and to work independently to manage the contract process from initial internal discussions to external negotiation and final execution.
- Capacity and desire to work remotely with a self-starting drive to collaborate and share knowledge and expertise.
- Process-oriented with a continuous improvement mindset.
- Must have a sleeves-rolled, hands-on approach towards day-to-day matters and the faculty to think tactically and strategically on achieving short/long-term objectives.
- Expertise in commercial law with substantive knowledge of issues relating to software licensing, SaaS contracts, partnerships, intellectual property, employment, and data privacy.
- J.D. degree and membership in a US state bar, or otherwise qualified to be a registered in-house counsel under California’s multi-jurisdictional practice program.
- 8-10+ years experience with a law firm providing services for tech clients, relevant in-house experience companies in the technology industry, or both.
- 4-6+ years experience handling commercial transactions and government contracts, ideally in-house at an internet, ecommerce or technology company.
- Experience or knowledge of 501(c) organizations is a plus.