Build a healthy, inclusive and diverse team where brilliant engineers stay!
As our Senior Engineering Manager, you will empower a cross-functional group of people to build an Education SaaS that educators and students love. You will hire and inspire brilliant engineers as they work on projects that transform how students learn.
Over the last few months we have doubled the size of our engineering team. Now, we need more great managers to help us look after all the awesome engineers who have joined Aula.
We’re looking for someone who can lead in our engineering department with their vision, while enabling others to grow into strong leaders themselves.
This role comes with a life changing opportunity to build a team, impact the way people learn and outstanding equity and salary rewards for you.
- Full remote permanent role > £110,000 - £135,000 + equity.
- User focused SaaS product built in two week sprints.
- React, Redux, Node.js, MongoDB, AWS Lambda/serverless environment.
You are an ambitious Senior Engineering Manager who is excited to scale an engineering organisation. You will amplify their team’s ability and build a world class remote engineering organisation. You’ll be responsible for improving learning experiences of thousands of students by building the team that builds a product educators and students love.
Reporting to the VP Engineering as our first Senior Engineering Manager, you will join a startup that has great clients and is ready to scale. We have silly ambitious plans for the team, you will help us take the team from 20 to 50 engineers this year and help us plan and build a team that scales as we transform education.
You will be given the autonomy to build things the way you want to, your expertise will be respected and your voice will be heard. You will have a huge impact on building the next leaders at Aula and not only will you hire the team, but inspire the team to grow to their full potential.
As our Senior Engineering Manager, you will:
- Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere, inviting all voices to be heard.
- Manage 10 - 20 engineers, build relationships, be a coach, set goals and provide candid feedback.
- Be accountable for engineering decisions for your Product Area. Provide technical leadership.
- Grow the team by driving our hiring processes and modelling Aula’s standards for interviewing.
- Be user centric: attend user interviews and measure success based on user metrics.
- Commit to high-speed iterations, high code quality, and continuous improvement via agile processes.
Build a healthy, inclusive and diverse team where brilliant engineers stay, not just because of Aula, but because of you.
Aula is the Learning Experience Platform (LXP) for higher education.
Aula is building a community-first product that brings together students and educators in a digital environment to interact and collaborate.
- Learn more about our Product Vision
- Read our Open Access handbook to learn about how we work
- See under the hood and read about our tech stack
As an organisation we are Remote First. Our rituals allow us to have a team based all around the world and deliver excellently engineered solutions to complex user problems.
Technically we are a team that makes elegant solutions to large scale learning problems. We work in two week sprints, we architect, build and deploy the product that users enjoy using. You can learn more about our Tech Stack and the decisions we have made here.
We are a small engineering team who build a complex product with messaging, content editing and assessments used by huge academic institutions. Our Product Development team is made up of designers, engineers and product managers. We work closely with our data team and product support to ensure what we are building is loved.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion should not be mistaken with building an organisation where 8 billion people would thrive. We lean into what makes Aula unique: we’re building an organisation where high performing people are silly ambitious about improving education - at scale.
Learn more about us our mission and our virtues here.
We’re looking for someone who is deeply technical but also has experience managing and growing engineering teams at product companies like ours. You are excited to grow a team, grow an amazing engineering culture and build a product that people love.
- 6+ years managing engineering teams.
- Experience building products end to end, ideally within a SaaS company.
- Success in building and managing a diverse, high-performing engineering team, comfortably owning hiring and tough conversations.
Nice to have:
- Proven track record of working and communicating effectively with Product Managers, Design, Data and Support.
- Product mindset. Ability to break down work into deliverables that bring value to users.
- Experience as a hiring manager, owning the hiring process and attracting talent who succeed at Aula.
You approach everything you do proactively and are always looking for ways to improve and innovate. You understand that this is a small team in a startup that is scaling and are excited to contribute to the Aula story.
Apply today with your CV and cover letter and our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
A fair chance
Every role in the Aula team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we’re committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.