Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
Last year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
Engineers at Thorn build tools to help law enforcement improve the effectiveness and efficiency of their investigations into domestic sex trafficking and child sexual abuse.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate with other engineers on your team to build up complex client applications built on top of hundreds of terabytes of data.
- Work closely with the product manager and engineers to define product requirements, and collaborate to devise optimal engineering solutions.
- Create technical specifications, prototypes, and presentations to communicate your ideas.
- Play a critical role in day-to-day coding, code reviews, and troubleshooting production issues.
- Drive technical innovation by researching and incorporating new technologies and tools into our core system.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- You have a commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- You have proficient software development knowledge with experience building, growing, maintaining a variety of products, and a love for creating elegant applications using modern technologies.
- You have experience prototyping, implementing, testing, and deploying code to production.
- You can work with shifting requirements and collaborate with internal stakeholders.
- You have empathy and can be a strong advocate for our users while balancing the vision and constraints of engineering realities.
- You communicate clearly, efficiently, and thoughtfully. We’re a highly-distributed team, so written communication is crucial, from Slack to pull requests to code reviews.
- You actively level up engineers around you, and develop positive mentor/mentee relationships with others on your team
Technologies We Use:
You should have non-trivial experience with React and SQL, but we’re excited about teaching folks that have the desire and ability to learn the rest.
- React / TypeScript
- Node / Express
- Relational databases (MySQL, MemSQL)
- Docker / Kubernetes