Location: Remote within GMT -6 / +1 hours 🗺️
The short version ⏳
Mission: Shape everything ‘design’ at Aula and be the guiding voice for design throughout the whole product.
Who: A **humble and curious product designer who loves to deliver quality work that delivers impact. Aula is an educational** technology company and that is a big reason for why you are applying.
How: Work on all levels of the product, from gathering feedback from educators and students to designing beautiful solutions. Work hand-in-hand with product managers, engineers, learning specialists and our CPO (also a designer) to implement your designs.
About you 🙋🙋♂️
We’re excited to tell you about Aula and what we’re working on, but first of all, let us explain who we’re looking for. The most important thing about you is that you are curious and care deeply about designing great products that affect people’s lives. You are excited about joining a startup with all the ups and downs that entails. You are transparent, reliable, considerate and ready to work hard to further our mission.
You have a real passion for precise design systems and designing mouth-watering user experiences. 🍭
Whether you’ve previously worked at a startup, an agency or on your own projects, you’ve designed for both mobile and desktop, have experience leading the conceptualisation of a feature, an app or a whole design system. +1 if you have front-end engineering experience/interest.
Your location is flexible - Aula is a fully distributed company - No offices :) You will be working with folks in the USA, Canada, UK, Netherlands, Georgia… You can be based anywhere from GMT-6 to GMT+1, although we would need to be able to fly you into the UK a few times in the year.
You understand what working at a fast-pace startup means. We get close to our users to try to understand in detail their needs but we then trust our intuition to move fast. Aula will not be a place where we take months to research, design, build and ship, we design efficiently and don’t hesitate to iterate constantly.
What is Aula? 🐝
Aula is a remote-first 35-person team building a social learning platform. Our mission is to enable all educators to engage all students.
Powered by an ecosystem of integrations, Aula is the foundational layer in the university tech stack that shapes a whole industry.
We built Aula because we believe digital infrastructure should encourage community and participation-based learning.
We’ve open-sourced our handbook, The Aula Brain, so you can see for yourself. Feel free to explore our living, breathing handbook, or jump on over to our 🤓curated content most relevant to a prospective employee like you!
The role: Product Designer 👩🚀👨🚀
We’re looking for a complete product designer who enjoys working on a design solution from beginning to end.
- Sitting down with students, educators, university administrators and the rest of the team to clearly understand existing infrastructures and determine existing pain points.
- Conceptualise design solutions.
- Design those solutions to the pixel.
- Help the engineering team implement the designs.
You can be working at all levels, from designing a whole app from scratch to going into detailed optimisations for our custom-designed editor or the chat structure of our direct messages.
We’d love to hear from you if… 🔍
You are the type of person who…
- Appreciates the value of diverse and inclusive teams.
- Thrives in caring and feedback rich environments.
- Isn’t afraid to meet teachers and understand teaching workflows.
- Wants to foster a culture of no-ego team players.
- Can arrange a working day with 6 hours of overlap with the workday in GMT.
You’ve done some of these things…
- Been part of an excellent product-focused organisation.
- Worked to increase engagement as part of your measure of success on a previous project.
- Worked on an Agile development team with incremental releases (or continuous delivery).
- Have been completely independent when implementing solutions with an existing design system.
The Product Team @ Aula 🏔️
Design is part of Aula’s Product Team — the team that gathers all the feedback from our users and partners, decides on priorities, designs solutions and actually builds the product.
What it’s like to work at Aula
We’ve open-sourced our handbook, The Aula Brain, so you can see for yourself.
Here are some pages you might be particularly curious about:
- (meet your future colleagues!)
- Why Aula is remote
- Social life
- How we work together
- Benefits (note, for 🇺🇸 candidates we offer 100% medical, dental and vision insurance)
- Mission and Values at Aula
- 📈 Anonymous data on what Aula team members think it’s like to work here
Next steps 👟
If this sounds exciting, APPLY here :).
All the best,
The Aula Team 🚀