The short version ⏳
Mission: As part of the Product Team, use your development skills to solve the most important problems for Aula users in a reliable and scalable way.
How: As part of an agile team, work closely with other engineers, product managers, our data lead, and a designer to find lean technical solutions that deliver maximum impact to our users. We use React, Redux, Node, AWS, serverless, MongoDB, and ship to web, iOS, and Android.
About you 👨🏽🚀🕵🏻♀️👩🏾🏫👨💻
We’re excited to tell you about Aula and what we’re working on, but first of all, let us explain who we’re looking for. The most important thing about you is that you are curious and care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives. You are transparent, reliable, considerate and ready to work hard to further our mission.
You have a real passion for starting small and shipping frequently.
Whether you’ve previously worked at a startup, you understand the tradeoffs that exist in any software project. You feel comfortable making a recommendation about scope, and you can balance refactoring and new feature work. You don’t overoptimize code, and solve for the problem at hand — not the problems we wish we had. We design efficiently and don’t hesitate to iterate constantly.
We’re looking for a senior software engineer. This means that you’ve got strong engineering skills and have seen (and learned from) many different projects over your career, ideally over the span of 5+ years. This also means that you feel comfortable leading a meeting, collaborating with a product manager on writing user stories or planning sprints, and can stay focused on delivering value to our users.
Your location is flexible - Aula is a fully remote company - no offices :) Since the other engineers are based east of the Atlantic, you can be based anywhere from GMT-1 to GMT+2.
- And finally, this tweet resonates with you:
What is Aula? 🐝
Aula is a remote-first team building a social learning platform. Our mission is to enable all educators to engage all students.
Powered by an ecosystem of integrations, Aula is the foundational layer in the university tech stack that shapes a whole industry.
We built Aula because we believe digital infrastructure should encourage community and participation-based learning.
The role: Senior Software Engineer 👩🚀👨🚀
We’re looking for an experienced engineer who loves to use technical skills to solve real problems for users.
What You’ll Do
Be a part of a high-performing and inclusive team that values autonomy.
- Work with your teammates to set high goals — and celebrating success when we hit them.
- Decide how work should get done, and be accountable for results.
- Show leadership on projects and in tech specialisations.
- Building new features from the ground up as well as improve existing our existing product.
- Drive software best practices around quality, automation, reliability, and stability.
- Pushing our thinking on core architecture choices and help improve upon the architecture in place. Weigh in on larger-scale architecture decisions like moving parts of our app to serverless.
- Working directly with Product Designers to build, maintain and improve design-first UI across devices.
- Ensure consistency, performance, and reliability across distributions of Aula: web, desktop, iOS, Android.
- Contributing to building a collaborative, productive and friendly remote workplace.
We’d love to hear from you if… 🔍
You’re the kind of person who…
- Wants to build an awesome product, and views code as just one tool in your toolbox.
- Can collaborate with your team to make sure we’re building something that will impact our users.
- Wants to foster a culture of no-ego team players.
- Appreciates the value of diverse and inclusive teams.
- Learns quickly and pragmatically, using the resources available to you.
You’ve done some of these things…
- Worked on a features in a vertical slice, from back-end to front-end.
- Led or contributed to projects from start to finish, and understands what it takes to keep a project on track.
- Supported your code in production. On-call experience is a plus (we have a rotation).
- Worked on a (remote) team using agile development practices