Good Eggs is the simplest way to feed your family, all week long. We’re an online grocery delivery service based in the Bay Area, offering absurdly fresh local produce, easy weeknight meal kits, everyday staples, and wine, beer, and spirits — everything you want and everything you need, delivered to your door.
We believe in: • The positive impact of good food on our families, our community, and our environment. • Sourcing local so there’s less time and distance between the farm and your fridge. • Investing in local foodmakers’ businesses as we grow ours. • Paying our employees a living wage and working with producers who do the same.
We’ve focused on growing authentically, with our roots in the community and producers we serve, to create a healthy, sustainable business. Check out our blog to learn more.
Good Eggs is privately owned, and investors include Benchmark, Index Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and others.
About the role
This year our focus is on growth, and we have plenty of exciting technical challenges ahead of us! In addition to re-platforming our entire homegrown eCommerce offering with a mobile-first mindset, we’ll make strategic improvements in how we handle replenishment, slotting, picking, and transportation management (among others) to keep up with all of the new customers.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the architecture, design, development, and testing of our e-commerce platform, warehouse management system, and product information management system.
About the team
Our technology organization, comprised of Application Engineering, Platform Engineering, Analytics, and IT, will soon number 30 people. We run a mature agile process, including continuous deployment (automated tests not QA), a culture of DevOps (end-to-end ownership of your code), pair programming, and regular retrospectives. We work on project-based teams that form around major business initiatives, so you’ll have the opportunity to work across the organization. Nobody likes tech debt, so we both empower developers to refactor as they go and also elevate large refactors to the company roadmap level. We’re doing all this using a microservice architecture of horizontally scalable 12-factor apps written using React, React Native, Node.js, TypeScript, MongoDB, GraphQL, Apollo and RabbitMQ. Everything runs on a modern, containerized platform based on Amazon ECS, including a home-grown abstraction layer that offers developers a more productive Heroku-like experience.
- Write, test, and maintain software across the stack with minimal need for support
- Lead architecture decisions for web and mobile applications and integrations
- Write technical proposals for solving business problems and work with stakeholders to build alignment around them
- Contribute to engineering best practices and documentation
- Support and mentor other engineers including pair programming and PR reviews
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support our systems. When on-call (approximately 1 week every 2 months), be available 24 hours per day to respond to pages.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience developing full-stack web applications
- Degree, certification, or relevant experience in software engineering
- Track record of delivering large projects successfully to production
- Experience acting as the technical lead on at least two cross-team projects
- Fluency in Node, Typescript, GraphQL, MongoDB, React, React Native, Redis, or RabbitMQ
- Microservices architecture experience
- Experience building cross-platform mobile apps for Android/iOS with React Native or similar frameworks
- E-commerce experience
- Product information management (PIM) experience
- Warehouse management systems (WMS) experience
- Growth and acquisition experience (SEO, A/B testing, funnel analytics, etc.)
Why work for Good Eggs?
• Work for a purpose-driven company building a better food system that cares about people and the planet. • An incredible work environment with passionate, accomplished team members • Benefits include employer-assisted health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts (FSA), 20% off groceries, Flex vacation + 10 holidays, generous parental leave, & opportunity for an unpaid sabbatical after 2 years • Meaningful equity in the company • Locally sourced, chef-prepared, family-style team lunches • Grocery is a $1 Trillion market in the US and it’s changing rapidly. Only 6% buy groceries online today and by 2025, it will be closer to 15-20%. The top 5 West Coast markets alone will be a $25B market by 2025 • An all-star board includes Bill Gurley (Benchmark Capital, #2 on the Midas List), Danny Rimer (Index Ventures), Chuck Templeton (Managing Director of S2G Ventures and founder of Open Table), and Vishal Vasishth (Obvious Ventures)