We are a diverse, fully distributed team from around the world, working toward a shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our User Insights team as a User Experience Researcher and help drive the strategy behind our all-in-one privacy solution.
As part of our growing team, you’ll collaborate with team members at all levels across the organization to identify and close significant product gaps. Examples of projects you might work on include leading qualitative research or conducting usability studies to determine UX gaps and opportunities, identifying user expectations and needs, and supporting the development of brand messaging and positioning.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you’d thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
What you will do
- Lead research projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Collaborate with product teams to identify and resolve product gaps (e.g., diagnosing user frustrations and proposing strategic solutions).
- Conduct end-to-end qualitative research (primarily using online tools) to understand user needs and emergent product opportunities.
- Devise usability tests, questionnaires, screeners, and discussion guides, including sample and data analysis plans and any eventual reporting.
- Lead dairy studies, surveys, moderated and unmoderated user studies, and in-depth interviews, adapting methodologies and experimenting with new approaches as needed.
- Analyze research findings and deliver insights that product stakeholders can act on throughout the organization.
- Ensure all research studies are methodologically sound and all components adhere to research best practices.
What we are looking for
- Extensive experience leading complex qualitative, usability, and human-computer interaction research projects.
- Ability to identify underlying business needs and develop efficient research plans and necessary research materials (screeners, questionnaires, tests, or interview guides) to address those needs fully.
- Broad knowledge of qualitative research methods and ability to choose the approach best suited for the challenge at hand (e.g., contextual inquiry, card sorting, diary studies, unmoderated studies, competitive benchmarking, etc.).
- Expertise in preparing and administering unmoderated qualitative studies as well as moderating IDIs and online interviews.
- Analytical skills required to interpret usability studies and quantitative research results.
- Ability to unearth deeper meaning from qualitative data and present findings in an appropriate medium such that findings are clear and actionable (e.g., customer journey maps, personas, data visualization, charts, etc.)
- Capability to apply research skills to new products and industries.
- A minimum of 7 years, working in a User Insight function as a decision-maker.
- Strong organizational skills, you have an eye for detail and are not afraid to use it!
- Effective project management skills.
- Strong communication skills — you clearly articulate your recommendations and decisions, whether verbal or written.
- Comfortable providing feedback to an array of stakeholders, internal and external, in the organization.
Annual compensation: $144,000 USD and stock options.
Maintaining satisfaction at work is one of our company objectives, just like maintaining and improving our private search engine. Our Team Member Support Guide explains how we make you our top priority.
For over a decade, we’ve built a unique culture that helps us continuously improve job satisfaction and productivity. Want to know more? Check out DuckDuckGo Culture: How We Work for an overview of how we collaborate worldwide.
OTHER THINGS TO KNOW
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- While this is a full-time job and we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.