Lead the research that will solve education’s most interesting challenges and help our team build a product that users love.
As our first User Researcher at Aula you will be the catalyst to making every Aula team user centric. You will navigate and lead product innovation in the education space, building a deep understanding of users’ problems and turn user research into insights to inform the development of Aula’s technology and learning design.
- Permanent full-time Remote Role within GMT - 6 to +1 (Think Austin to Milan)
- Reporting to: Kelly Burdine (Data Lead)
- High-impact, high visibility role in a fast paced EdTech startup
- Salary: £73 - 95k ($100k-$132k) based on location and experience
The uniqueness of this role is that you are not embedded in a particular product squad, but will have wide business impact across the whole organisation. You will work on our toughest challenge and directly with institutions, partnerships teams, our leadership and our product teams to make learning more engaging.
Aula is the Learning Experience Platform (LXP) for higher education.
We are building a community-first product that brings together students and educators in a digital environment to interact and collaborate.
Our team’s core focus is enabling both Aula and our educators to make data informed decisions. We build things core to decision making within the business and a recommendations feature within our product that helps educators help students succeed.
This role is unique due to the fact that you will have impact accross the whole organisation. You will work for commercial teams, to help them understand our clients better, Our learning teams to understand how people use our plaform
In this role you will
- Evangelize research. Share user insights with the broader organisation and externally in creative ways to increase empathy
- Double the percentage of educators who say they love Aula by surveying and interviewing educators and analyzing the results to to provide insights to our PMs to create the most impactful product roadmap
- Reduce the time to scale for universities by 50% by leading the product-led growth (PLG) research to identify the what and why behind educator love
- Help our educators and partner institutions understand Aula’s impact on educators and students by analyzing product usage, survey data, and user interviews and creating compelling insights and reports
- Design, build, execute, and analyze surveys for both product and commercial teams and communicate findings to relevant stakeholders
- Work closely with a cross-functional, geographically distributed team of data analysts, user researchers, product managers, designers and engineers
- Proactively identify generative user research projects for our product. Work collaboratively with Product Managers to execute research projects
- Maintain and evolve our panel of users, making it efficient to recruit users for research across the company.
- Be a part of a high-performing and inclusive team that values autonomy.
- Work with your teammates to set high goals — and celebrate success when we hit them.
- Contribute to building a collaborative, productive and friendly remote workplace.
About the team
Our Data team is made up of a team lead, two analytics engineers, a data analyst, and a user researcher (you!). We work closely with our product, commercial, and operations teams to provide the reporting and insights for internal decision makers. We are also working to provide our students and educators data and insights within the Aula platform.
Our virtues are what makes Aula as an organisation unique.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion should not be mistaken with building an organisation where 8 billion people would thrive. We lean into what makes Aula unique: we’re building an organisation where high performing people are silly ambitious about improving education - at scale.
We judge our virtues by what we do, not what we say.
Our virtues are
🚀 Silly Ambitious
🔍 Uncomfortably Focused
🗣 Transparent by Default
As an organisation we are remote first, asynchronous by default. Our rituals allow us to have a team based all around the world and deliver reliable and accurate data solutions. We want this person to have several hours overlap with the rest of the data team and be available to speak with educators (mostly UK based) during normal business hours so we’re hiring from anywhere Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and -6 hours of GMT (London to Chicago). We’re NOT hiring from places that require a graveyard shift to make the overlap happen.
- User obsessed. You have a deep understanding of the user experience and can empathise with the problems they are trying to solve
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity and self-drive to continuously learn new methods of analysis to extract value from data
- Someone who has a lot of attention to detail. You have a high bar for quality and consistency
- A storyteller. You know how to extract and communicate insights out of data to drive action
- Highly collaborative. You have strong interpersonal skills and can easily connect with your stakeholders in product, commercial, and academia
The most important thing about you is that you are curious and care deeply about how data empowers better decision making. You are transparent, considerate and ready to work hard to further our mission.
- Extensive experience conducting a wide variety of qualitative research methods such as semi-structured interviews, usability studies, diary studies, survey analysis, and jobs-to-be-done research
- Experience designing and conducting surveys and analyzing survey responses
- Experience planning, scoping, analysing, and communicating product research with decision-makers
Nice to have experience:
- Basic understanding of statistics and quantitative data analysis
- Working in SaaS, analyzing product usage data and designing and analyzing A/B experiments
- Creating visualizations in modern data tools (e.g. Looker, Metabase, Sisense,Tableau)
You approach everything you do proactively and are always looking for ways to improve and innovate. You understand that this is a small team in a startup that is scaling and are excited to contribute to the Aula story.
Apply today and our recruiting team will get back to you as soon as possible to arrange a quick call.
A fair chance
Every role in the Aula team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we’re committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.