We are a diverse and fully-distributed team from around the world, working toward our shared vision to raise the standard of trust online.
Join our User Insights team as a remote Senior User Researcher and drive qualitative research that underpins strategy in the DuckDuckGo search engine, mobile apps, browser extensions, and prospective products.
As part of our growing team, you will collaborate with team members across functions and levels to identify and resolve strategic opportunities within our products. Examples of projects you might work on include: conducting user interviews or focus groups to help define brand messaging and positioning, using qualitative methodologies to investigate inconsistencies between privacy awareness and action, and leading qualitative research to determine UX gaps in our products.
We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their work. If you’d thrive in that environment, and our core values resonate with you — build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction — you’ll fit right in!
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Conduct remote and in-person qualitative studies for existing and future products, including diary studies, interviews, and usability tests.
- Apply qualitative research methodologies and processes best suited to projects at-hand.
- Leverage experiments and data to validate your direction and demonstrate the efficacy of your efforts.
- Analyze and interpret research results to present findings using clear, actionable, and appropriate mediums, such as customer journey maps, personas, data visualizations, etc.
- Coach engineers and other colleagues to instill strong research best-practices.
What we are looking for:
- Extensive experience leading complex qualitative research projects.
- Expertise in a broad range of qualitative research methodologies, e.g. contextual inquiry, card sorting, diary studies, competitive benchmarking, and others.
- Experience in moderating IDIs, focus groups, and online interviews, as well as expertise preparing and administering unmoderated qualitative studies.
- Experience conducting usability and human-computer interaction studies.
- Ability to uncover deeper meaning from qualitative research.
- Analytical skills required to interpret and apply quantitative research results.
- Strong project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward and know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team distributed across time zones, and we rely on a variety of communication tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! Expect to travel at least two times a year: once for our all-hands meetup and again for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We believe in a focused approach to collaboration, where individual team members work on a single top priority at a time, each supporting larger, company-wide objectives. This philosophy serves to impact our vision to raise the standard of trust online.
- Our work philosophy centers on empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- Transparency supports individual and team success at DuckDuckGo. We encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback about our products and internal projects.
- We strive to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours, expecting an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.