Do you still love being in the front lines producing high quality code but also find fulfilment when it comes to empowering and molding the minds of ambitious developers?
We are looking for a seasoned Ruby on Rails Developer and people manager to join our team as a Software Engineering Lead to guide one of the most integral squads by championing cutting edge technology, breaking roadblocks with your technical expertise, and fostering talent to continuously produce high quality code.
You will be joining a team striving to continually improve their knowledge of system architecture, infrastructure, design patterns, and testing. We are an incredibly supportive team giving peer feedback and constructive pull request reviews. We are passionate about clean, well organized code, and how systems and users interact with our implementations.
Being part of the Software Engineering team at Humi, you will have the opportunity to be part of a team that leverages some of the most popular frameworks to ensure fast, consistent, secure, and scalable solutions. Our front-end application uses Google’s Angular framework for a prescriptive approach to web application development. Our payroll and payments service is a Ruby on Rails application, allowing us to abstract and simplify everyday tasks and maintain a flexible environment for future growth. Our HR API is a PHP Laravel application offering us strong community support, learning materials, and in-depth documentation.
Who are we?
Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, Payroll, Benefits, and Insurance platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. With a potential reach spanning every business in Canada, and a platform that touches every employee at every business that uses it, Humi is reimagining the future of work.
Humi is backed by the same group who funded Slack, Carta, and more (Tribe Capital), the top value-based U.S. accelerator (Y-Combinator), as well as several of the world’s leading angel investors.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We strive to create a culture that does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why join the Humi Family?
- Be part of a group that genuinely cares about one another and wants to go to work everyday (Doubt this? Ask the team.)
- Work with a high performance team that loves to be challenged
- Access leadership opportunities as the company rapidly scales
- Maintain work-life balance with unlimited personal days and flexible work from home policy
- Work from a beautiful office in downtown Toronto with amazing views of the city and water
What you will be doing as a Ruby on Rails Software Engineering Lead?
As a Software Engineering Lead, you will own the technical success of your squad and equip them with the best technical development and engineering practices through mentorship and helping them take on challenges. Also, you will work closely with the Product Manager, to devise a plan to tackle projects to ensure deliverables are met in a timely manner. You will work with leadership to create development focused strategies while pioneering innovative processes.
- You will be guiding and supporting a cross functional squad of Developers, Product Managers, and Designers on how to tackle projects from end to end
- You will take technical requirements to create clean, well organized, and reusable Ruby code
- You will be utilizing your problem solving skills and expertise to dive in to any area of unfamiliar code or product and make instrumental changes
- You have the ability to anticipate how contributions can affect larger architecture, developing migrations and contingency plans
- You will be creating technical plans and advising on the tech direction of the squad
- You will be mentoring Engineers on the team to accelerate the growth of talent on the team
What we are looking for in a Ruby on Rails Software Engineering Lead?
- 3+ years of experience building, scaling, and maintaining a large applications similar
- 5+ years of solid software engineering experience
- Language agnostic and up for the challenge of mastering Ruby
- Experience with front end frameworks (Angular 2+ experience is an asset)
- 2+ years experience managing a team of developers (i.e. performance management, mentoring, etc.)
- Strong leadership skills and passion for coaching and mentoring others when it comes to advocating for development best practices
- Strong communication skills to articulate changes and to collaborate with different teammates, stakeholders and leadership
- Demonstrates a proactive and solutions centric approach to work
- Drive to create and embrace a well tested, and well organized code