We are looking for a Visual & Interaction Designer with a high level of ownership and autonomy, who can add value to the team with little supervision after his/her onboarding period.
The job is for a full-time contract and we are offering for this role between 30 - 45K Euros.
At this moment in time everyone at Vizzuality is working from home/remotely. If this type of flexibility is something you are looking for you will be very welcome to join us.
Regardless of your preferred location, and so we can make sure to keep our operations running smoothly, we would be particularly interested to hear from you if you are willing to overlap some/all of your day to day working hours with our teams (Ideally between GMT-3 and GMT+3)
- “Would you like to be part of Vizzuality’s story?”
Are you motivated by the desire to help build a sustainable planet for all life on Earth? Are you looking for a new opportunity?
Vizzuality’s purpose is to reach a fair and sustainable planet by creating tools that radically empower people to make positive changes now.
We are a world-leading technology agency based in Madrid, Cambridge, and Porto. We design and develop data-driven tools and applications for international organisations who focus on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Inequality.
Solving such large and complex problems will bring you into contact with new technology and some of the world’s most interesting organisations and academics in machine learning, remote sensing, and planetary data. You’ll be working on projects like these:
- “Our Culture - This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, therefore we need to make sure we care about our people and give them the power to build great things. These are some of the things that define our culture:
- Our team structure relies on self-organisation.
- We want to work with colleagues who don’t have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instructions.
- As soon as you step inside, we will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then will trust you to do great things.
- For ourselves, our colleagues, the organisation.
- We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
- As we are always embarking on new projects and challenges, a continuous learning mindset and a - “Can Do” attitude is a must
- We are conscientious, we focus on learning and achieving our goals
- We give power to people so they can make decisions, to plot their own paths with help from all around them
We have fun:
- We also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun.
- If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
- “A day in the life of a Designer at Vizzuality”
You will be designing user interfaces from wireframes to the visual finishing, and then presenting them to the client. You will also be working across teams at Vizzuality, collaborating with peers in business development, technology, project managers, science and user research.
More specifically, these are some of the things you will be doing and achieving in your first year at Vizzuality:
Your first week.
- You will meet the design team, every designer and his/her sidekick, and will start learning how everyone works in a given project.
Your first month.
- You will be involved in the daily work of some of our projects. The design team will show you the basics of our workflow.
- You will get to know people from other functional groups: research, science, front-end, back-end and business development, and understand how our role overlaps and compliments theirs.
- You will get to know more about data visualization in our projects.
- You will give support on some projects: iterations on wireframes, prototype pages generation, feedback understanding (processing and application), building a proposal presentation, etc.
By the second month:
- You’ll familiarise yourself with much of the lifecycle of the projects and our workflow.
- You will be in charge of a couple of projects in maintenance status (occasional needs from developers and soft refinements on the interface)
- You will be gradually becoming the main designer of a project supported by another designer.
By the end of the 6 month you will be making a real impact.
- You will be the main designer of a project (conceptualization, workshops with the client, etc.) with another designer as your sidekick.
- After defining the required architecture and interactions with the team, based on user research identified needs, you will create visual systems and guidelines to communicate design specifications (like images/illustration style, color palettes, and typography).
- Along with the design team, you will work closely with Engineers, Scientists, Design Researchers, Developers, Project managers and external partners or clients from the proposal design of the project lifecycle until the end.
- “These are some of the skills and experiences we are looking for in a candidate”
(*) If you think you don’t tick all the boxes below, we’d still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team and aligned with our purpose!
We’re looking for someone with creative problem-solving skills, who is passionate about using their knowledge, critical thinking and specialized design skills to make products that generate positive social change.
- A portfolio showing a strong background, with more than 4 years of UX/UI design experience. It would be great if some of your experience was spent in an agency environment.
- Thorough knowledge of design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Figma, InVisionApp, etc.
- Experience in visual design. Branding, typography usage, color, icons, hierarchy, consistency.
- Experience with wireframes development.
- Experience with design thinking-doing process from definition to final outcome
- Experience working with front-end developers
Anything else to impress us? If you have some experience on any of the points below, we would love to hear more about it in your application:
- Principle, InVision Studio, Adobe XD, Framer, Mapbox, Carto.
- Experience presenting your designs to clients.
- Experience working on disciplines such as Supply-Chain Management, Geography, GIS, Economics, Systems Science, or related fields.
- Analyzing data with an eye for translating it into visualizations.
- A curious mind. You love to learn about “what’s going on in the world” away from the designers’ social networks (interesting projects, new approaches on human interaction with technology, interesting scientific advances, etc.)
- Good attitude. Honesty is key for effective teamwork. A huge ego tends to block collaboration.
- You’re a bit of a nerd and you really love what you do.
Self Management Skills: Below you will find some characteristics that make people successful in an organisation like ours:
- Motivation: The ambition to excel in the pursuit of unselfish, collective goals; deep personal humility and a focus on self improvement.
- Curiosity: The instinct to seek new experiences, knowledge and feedback with an openness to learning and change.
- Insight: The ability to gather and make sense of information that suggests new possibilities.
- Engagement: The capacity to use emotion and reason to communicate a persuasive vision and connect with people.
- Determination: The ability to fight for difficult goals despite challenges.
- “Compensation, Benefits & Growth - This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
Compensation & Benefits:
- A competitive salary. We are offering for this role between 30 - 45K Euros. This range it’s only an indication and we will agree together your final salary based on your specific experience.
- A yearly bonus up to 10% of the salary, depending on the company’s performance and your own.
- If you are based in Spain or Portugal, you will get Health & Dental Insurance subsidised by the company.
- 22 Holiday Days + 1 Day for your birthday
Work and Personal Life Integration:
- We have a remote-friendly culture with teammates located across four countries and 10 cities. We run all our meetings online, and create opportunities for the online experience to be better every day.
- We offer a flexible work environment and flexible hours, and as long as you do what you have to do, meet your objectives and coordinate accordingly with your team, we are not so worried if you work at the office, in a coffee shop, on your sofa at home, or at the beach!
Learning and working on new and interesting things is fun so we offer many opportunities to do so:
- Get your hands-on cool technology and applications to do your work, communicate, and build great things
- You will work alongside a talented team of engineers, designers, and scientists with multiple backgrounds and skills
- Peer mentoring
- You will have the freedom to design a career path that suits your interests and growth needs.
- Support for giving talks and contributing to open source projects/initiatives that align with Vizzuality
- “Recruitment Process Overview”
Do you have what it takes to change the world? If after reading the description of the role, you like our culture and you believe you have what it takes to join Vizzuality, please send us your application.
This is how the recruitment process looks like and also some suggestions for you to include and consider in your application.
Application: Dec 22nd - Jan 10th Send us your CV and Cover Letter, explaining why you would like to work with us and what you can bring to the team. Please include any samples of your code and projects you find relevant to the offer. Fluent English is really important to us, so if it’s not your first language please demonstrate your abilities in your CV and Cover Letter.
First Screener: 25th Jan - 5th Feb This is a 60 minute informal interview so you can get to know a bit better the company, our culture and ask any questions about the role and our ways of working. From our side, we are interested in understanding more about what you are looking for and what you care about.
Interview: 8th - 19th Feb. You will be meeting with a few of us and we will deep-dive into your experience, skills and portfolio. You will have the space to share more about the way you work, reason and solve problems. This will be another opportunity for you to ask us questions about the role and the company.
Informal Catch Up with the Team: w/c 22nd Feb During the last stage of the process the idea is to offer you a final opportunity to get to know more people on the team (not just Back End) so you can make a more informed decision. You will be meeting online people from different areas/levels/countries, so you can get an idea of what different people in the company do, how we organise ourselves, our typical day to day, or any other info you may want to get first hand
Thank you for your interest in employment with Vizzuality.
Vizzuality is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.